For the past month or so, I’ve been CRAVING hot chocolate. That’s really not anything new though. As soon as the winter months roll in, I try to get my hot chocolate fix in any way I can. Pile on the marshmallows plus whipped cream and don’t forget that adorable cute cinnamon stick for stirring.
I’m all about that hot cocoa life. In fact, lately I’ve been making this healthy hot chocolate recipe at LEAST 4x/week. Tony and I love it!
Ingredients in healthy hot chocolate
I started myself on a little quest to make a really, really freaking good HEALTHY hot chocolate that I could sip on while I binge watch all the Christmas movies on Netflix. I say, screw those Swiss Miss packets, my version is something you can feel good about sippin’ down. Here are the 4 (yes, four!) ingredients you’ll need for this healthy hot chocolate:
- Milk: I like to use a combination of unsweetened almond milk and light coconut milk to keep the healthy hot chocolate dairy free and ultra creamy. The coconut milk adds a slight sweetness and amazing flavor. I recommend using light coconut milk from the can.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: a high-quality cocoa powder or cacao powder is essential. I highly recommend using Ghirardelli’s 100% cocoa. I think it has the best flavor for hot chocolate (and trust me, I’ve tried quite a few!)
- Pure maple syrup: I love how delicious the maple syrup tastes in this recipe, plus it’s a natural sweetener. Perfection!
- Vanilla extract: a splash of vanilla brings lovely flavor to the hot cocoa. Not completely necessary, but oh so good!
What makes this hot chocolate healthier?
Traditional hot chocolate is made with full fat milk and/or half and half and lots of white sugar to make it creamy and sweet. While delicious and nostalgic, I wanted to make a healthy hot chocolate recipe with some more wholesome ingredients that you can enjoy even if you’re vegan or dairy free! This 4-ingredient healthy hot chocolate is:
- Made with both almond milk and coconut milk to keep it vegan and dairy free
- Naturally sweetened with only pure maple syrup
It took me a few times to perfect the recipe, but I truly believe that my healthy hot chocolate recipe is the BEST VEGAN & DAIRY FREE HOT CHOCOLATE EVER. It’s creamy, perfectly sweet, with just the right amount of cocoa to keep it intense and rich-tasting.
Tips for making the best healthy hot chocolate
The best part about this dairy free hot chocolate recipe? How easy it is to make! I have a few tips for making it perfectly creamy and delicious:
- Mix on low. Combine all of your ingredients in a small pot just over medium low heat.
- Keep on whisking. Make sure to whisk continuously until smooth to get rid of any lumps from the cocoa powder.
- Don’t let it boil. Be sure not to let the hot chocolate boil as the almond milk might burn and change the flavor — just whisk it until it’s nice and steamy.
- Jazz up your mug. Remember to add your fav toppings! I love whipped cream, marshmallows and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Want a nightcap?
Try adding 1 shot of amaretto to your hot chocolate for a little extra coziness! Tony LOVES it this way and it’s perfect for the holiday season.
How to make hot chocolate in your slow cooker
This delicious, healthy hot chocolate can be made on the stovetop or right in your slow cooker! To do so:
- Feel free to quadruple the recipe (x all ingredients by 4) so that it serves 8.
- Whisk ingredients together in the slow cooker
- Place your slow cooker on warm setting and allow to warm for 1-2 hours before serving!
More cozy treats to try
I hope you love this healthy hot chocolate recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
My favorite delicious healthy hot chocolate recipe that’s both vegan and dairy free! This healthy hot chocolate recipe is made with a mix of both coconut milk + almond milk and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. The perfect nightcap during the chilly winter months!
light coconut milk (from the can)
unsweetened almond milk
pure maple syrup
unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli’s 100% unsweetened cocoa powder)
of sea salt
Add all ingredients to a small pot and place over medium low heat. Whisk vigorously to combine and to get rid of any lumps of cocoa. Do NOT let the hot chocolate boil or you risk burning the almond milk, which can turn the flavor into something you do not want. Simply warm in the pot until steamy, about 3-5 minutes.
Once hot chocolate is hot, remove from heat and pour into 2 mugs. Top with whipped cream, dairy free whipped cream, marshmallows or vegan marshmallows. Chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder on top are fun too! Enjoy!
To make this recipe in the slow cooker: you can feel free to quadruple the recipe (x all ingredients by 4) so that it serves 8. Whisk ingredients together in the slow cooker and place on warm setting and allow to warm for 1-2 hours before serving to guests!
Optional: add a shot of amaretto into your hot cocoa before serving. My husband LOVES it this way and it makes a fun holiday cozy nightcap!
Servings: 2 servings
Serving size: 1 serving
Saturated fat: 7.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on December 21, 2020, and republished on December 15, 2021.