In the past the day after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday, has been the kickoff of the holiday shopping season.
But in recent years retailers have begun moving away from the more traditional one-day sales opportunities to offer extended discounts, some beginning at the start of November.
Want to know more about what is happening in Davidson County? Support local journalism, subscribe to The Dispatch.
There are also many sales where you don’t even have to leave the house with online shopping becoming the increasingly preferred option for purchases. The Monday following Thanksgiving has even been termed “Cyber Monday” to reflect the shift from in-store shopping.
Many retailers have also shied away from offering sales on Thanksgiving Day and have even decided to close during the holiday.
But for those who still enjoy the traditional after-Thanksgiving shopping experience, several stores will still be open on Black Friday. Here is a partial list of what is closed on Thanksgiving and are open the following day for Black Friday sales.
For a complete list of local retailers offering Black Friday sales, go to BlackFriday.com.
- Walmart – Closed on Thanksgiving, reopens 5 a.m. Nov. 26. Walmart’s 2021 Black Friday sale starts on Nov. 22 at 7 p.m., online Thanksgiving and in-store on Black Friday at 5 a.m.
- Belk – Closed Thanksgiving Day; reopens Nov. 26 at 7a.m. Belk’s Black Friday sale is from November 19 through November 27, with additional in-store sale offerings on Nov. 26 and 27 and online on Thanksgiving.
- Lowes – Closed on Thanksgiving; opens 6 a.m. Nov. 26. Lowe’s Pre-Black Friday 2021 sale is from November 18 through November 24. Lowe’s Black Friday 2021 Sale is Nov. 26 through December 1 and are available in-store and online.
- Gamestop – Closed on Thanksgiving, opens at 7 a.m. on Nov. 26. Gamestop will offer early Black Friday Deals from Nov. 21 through Nov. 24, with online deals starting on Wednesday, Nov. 24 through the 26 and instore on Black Friday.
- Target – Closed on Thanksgiving, open at 7 a.m. on Nov. 26. Target’s Black Friday sale is starting November 21 through November 27, with online deals only on Thanksgiving.
- Best Buy – Closed on Thanksgiving, opens at 10 a.m. on Nov. 26. Best Buy will hold its holiday sales from Nov. 19 through Nov. 29 with additional specials added Wednesday and online Thursday.
General news reporter Sharon Myers can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @LexDispatchSM.