Agence France-Presse (The Jakarta Post)
Fri, November 5, 2021
A citizen journalist jailed for her coverage of China’s initial response to COVID-19 in Wuhan is close to death after going on hunger strike, her family said, prompting renewed calls from rights groups for her immediate release.
Zhang Zhan, 38, a former lawyer, travelled to Wuhan, Hubei province, in February 2020 to report on the chaos at the pandemic’s epicenter, questioning authorities’ handling of the outbreak in her smartphone videos.
She was detained in May 2020 and sentenced in December to four years in prison for “picking quarrels and provoking trouble”—a charge routinely used to suppress dissent.
to Read Full Story
Starting from IDR 55,000/month
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription